Friday, May 29, 2009

final informal thoughts on kuwait...

...before I leave the creature comforts of a luxury hotel and head into Baghdad.

  • Apparently, the term "sports television" in this part of the world has been redefined solely as "soccer television." There are 12 channels labeled "sports" and each and every one has a soccer game or commentary about soccer on it.
  • I brought a couple of seasons of "The West Wing" with me on this trip and reveled in the irony of watching the fictional politics of Qumar unfold as I glance from the television and out the window to the Kuwait City skyline.
  • I always find watching "The West Wing" pumps my psyche up for a mental challenge. I'm glad I had a chance to watch a few episodes to prepare myself for the comings days, weeks and months.
  • I questioned my decision making in reading choice this morning; I was having an early breakfast at the hotel reading the latest issue of New York Magazine with Woody Allen and Larry David on the front cover. I realized as I was doing so that this may have implications in the Arab world beyond those on the New York street corner on which I bought the magazine.
  • This hotel has amazing service beyond that which I am accustomed. Around midnight last night as I was preparing for bed I asked the front desk for a cable to connect my iPod to the stereo in my room (basically an RCA stereo cable into a 1/8 inch headphone input). The person at the front desk didn't understand my request and was extremely apologetic. I told him not to worry about it, but around 12:15 someone from the hotel's technical staff showed up at my door to ask what he could help with. I showed him what I was looking for and he aplogetically said he didn't have that particular cable. I told him not to worry about it, but about 15 minutes later another knock came on my door. It was the same technician with a spliced cable he made for me. It worked perfectly. That, my friends, is service. :-)
So enough of the light and fluffy. I am ready for the myriad challenges ahead of me. In the immortal words of Josh Lyman: "Game On!"

No comments:

Post a Comment